It is a common assumption that braces are only for teenagers, but regardless of your age, it is always possible to restore your smile and improve your dental health. For a variety of reasons, many people who are now adults were unable to correct problems in childhood, such as overbites, misaligned jaws, crowded teeth, underbites, jaw joint disorders, and crooked teeth. Over the years, if these issues are left untreated, they can progress towards gum disease, serious tooth decay, chronic headaches, ear pain, as well as problems with speaking, biting and chewing.
Other reasons that adults may benefit from orthodontic treatment:
- To correct a misaligned bite or malocclusion.
- To fix teeth that are either too crowded or too widely spaced apart, a significant contributor to advanced gum disease and tooth decay.
- To regain a more beautiful smile.
- To improve oral hygiene and health.
- To relieve pressure and pain in the jaw that is caused by misaligned or crooked teeth.
What Kind of Braces Are Available for Adults?
While metal braces were more traditional in the past, adults can now benefit from advanced orthodontics that are comfortable, nearly invisible, and customized to their unique needs. Ricci Orthodontics now offers adults a variety of advanced braces to match your lifestyle, including:
- Ceramic Braces
- Colored Braces
- Lingual (Behind the Tooth) Braces
- Traditional Metal Braces
- Wilckodontics® Accelerated Braces
Why Should I Correct Crooked Teeth as An Adult?
- Your smile is often the first feature that people notice. The best way to make a great impression is when you have a smile that you are proud to share with the world.
- A beautiful, symmetrical smile helps get you noticed when it matters most. Successful orthodontic treatment will boost your self-confidence, improving your relationship with others and giving you the freedom to smile without holding back.
- The best way to have healthy teeth is when they are straight. Once properly aligned in position, it is far easier to keep teeth clean, preventing the build-up of chronic gum disease and other serious oral health problems in the future.
Is Orthodontic Treatment Different for Adults?
No different than teenagers, adults can benefit from a more beautiful smile and improved oral health from wearing braces. But because adult mouths are no longer growing, orthodontic treatment may take slightly longer than for teens. Most of our adult clients require wearing braces for about a year and a half to three years. Once your braces have been removed, you will probably need to continue to wear a retainer for a while to preserve all of the benefits of your newly straightened teeth.
If you have questions about adult orthodontics in Johns Creek, Georgia, you are welcome to contact Dr. Steven Ricci, our orthodontist, for more information. Call 678-417-9848 today!