After spending the time and money on dental braces, you don’t want to have your teeth shift back into their old positions. Unfortunately, teeth can shift after the use of braces. No matter your age when you wore braces, you are always at risk for teeth shifting. However, retainers from Johns Creek, Georgia orthodontists are able to help keep the teeth in place after your initial treatment with braces. But what are retainers, and how important are they to your smile?
A retainer is a custom-made oral appliance often used to maintain the alignment of your teeth after orthodontic treatment. If you have finished your orthodontic treatment, such as braces, our dentist may recommend a retainer to keep your smile properly aligned. As you age, your teeth tend to shift; the retainer ensures that your teeth remain in correct alignment for optimal oral health, functionality, and appearance.
Without the appliance, your teeth could shift back to their original positions. This could mean more time and money spent on fixing your smile once more. Instead of letting your treatment go to waste, consider a fitting for a new retainer in Johns Creek, Georgia.
Types of Retainers in Johns Creek, Georgia
There are three main types of retainers available:
- Hawley retainers consist of wires and clasps embedded in a plastic body that covers the roof of the mouth (for the upper arch) or lies along the tongue side of the teeth (for the lower arch). The clasps fit around certain teeth to anchor the retainer in place, while the wire arches across the front of the teeth to maintain their alignment.
- Clear retainers are made of clear plastic and fit snugly over the teeth. A clear retainer is usually more discreet than a Hawley retainer, although it may not be as durable.
- Permanent retainers, also called bonded or fixed retainers, are permanently attached to the backside of the front teeth. This prevents the teeth from shifting out of place. In fact, only an orthodontist can remove this appliance. This is different from the previous options that allow you to remove the appliance whenever you please.
The type of retainer you will end up with depends on the recommendation by our dentist and your preferences. Some dental issues may limit the type of retainer, but many can be altered to fit your preference for low visibility or removability.
Retainers in Johns Creek, Georgia
Following your completed orthodontic treatment, our orthodontist will provide you with a custom-made retainer to preserve your new smile. Taking your dental issues and preferences into account, you will be fitted for a new retainer to prevent your teeth from shifting.
The dentist will review the specific care steps and instructions for use during your visit.
Dental Services at Ricci Orthodontics
Ricci Orthodontics provides a wide range of dental services to improve your smile and functionality. Our services also include:
- Oral cancer screening. This quick and painless procedure screens for oral cancer to catch it early on. Catching oral cancer early prevents even bigger problems.
- Periodontal treatment. Periodontics treats symptoms of gum disease, such as swollen, tender, and receding gums.
- Two-phase orthodontics. This orthodontics service provides dental intervention required before permanent teeth come in. Major complications of abnormal dental problems in children can be avoided.
- Palatal expanders. Creating more space in the mouth treats issues of crossbite and impacted teeth.
You are always welcome to contact Ricci Orthodontics at 678.932.0308 if you would like to ask Dr. Steven Ricci about our retainers in Johns Creek, Georgia. Our orthodontist will help you determine whether you need a retainer after your orthodontic treatment. For more information, we welcome you to call us today! Let our team help you maintain the great smile you worked so hard for.